View Single Post
Old 10-22-2006, 08:10 PM   #115
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Haleth could feel his horse laboring beneath him, working to maintain even an easy gallop. The company had managed to be roused before dawn and had been riding hard since then. His logic told him that a couple of extra hours on the road for the horses’ sake would probably not matter much, but he felt a nagging instinct that told him that all was not well and that they were needed, now and before now. He knew that the horses needed a break, but he also knew that any time now they should ride within sight of Sorn’s estate. Then the horses could rest.

They topped a low rise and finally beheld Sorn’s holdings, the home of the man who had kidnapped Linduial, and for the first time in a while, Haleth allowed himself a small smile. I will not let you down now, my Queen; I will find and rescue Linduial.

He slowed his mount to a walk to take in the scene. At first glance, all was peaceful… but strangely still. There was no bustle of workmen in the surrounding fields nor were there horses in the paddock. Eodwine and his men were nowhere to be seen, although four horses stood ground-tied in front of the house. Closer inspection showed that the door of the main house was swinging open.

Then from the eastern side of the house, Haleth heard faintly the ring of steel. “Thurstan,” he commanded, “take your men and fifteen more and ride out that way to find what is happening and if the Lord Eodwine needs help. The rest of us will remain here and search the house. Go now.” With that, two-thirds of Haleth’s company was peeling off after the sound. Haleth desired fervently to go with them, but he knew that he must remain here in case of news in this uncertain situation; he must be accessible. He turned to the remaining men. “Half of you come with me into the house. The other half, hold their horses and walk them out – but remain watchful, with your swords at the ready. I do not trust this place.” With that, Haleth dismounted and handed his own horse to one of the men. With seven men at his back, he strode up to the house, wondering what he might find.