View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 04:33 AM   #2
Leaf
Haunting Spirit

Leaf is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotrelf
Like, "Frodo wouldn't have made it without Sam,"
But this statement is undoubtedly true. To claim otherwise would be the opposite of "degrading".

Quote:
"Frodo's quest would have been in vain if not for Gollum."
This statement is true aswell. Evidently Frodo claimed all the power the ring could offer. He failed. Thatīs not to say that I donīt understand this failure. I guess no person in ME would have been able to destroy the ring willingly.

Quote:
Rest, I see people talking about him from start to the end in all the negative terms: His decision to go to Mordor in Rivendell is said to be his desire to not being able to part with the Ring; while in reality it is complete the opposite.
I donīt know if it is the "complete opposite". I would rather say that both might be true. Frodo feels responsible for the fate of the ring. Wishing not to depart from the ring is just the other side of the coin. I guess they both mark the end of a spectrum.

Quote:
His mercy for Gollum is said to be "his selfish desire to have a way for himself to survive" while books speak completly the opposite.
Again, there is truth in this statement. However, I wouldnīt argue that his actions regarding Gollum are solely motivated by selfishness. He feels compassion towards Gollum. But in order to feel this kind of sympathy there has to be some kind of self-reference! So called selfishness doesnīt have to be a bad thing.

Quote:
His so-called failure is deemed as a sign "of weakness" and by some "of pride". Books completly speak otherwise.
As I said before, his failure is a sign of weakness, and pride aswell. But they are not personal flaws of his character per se, but structural, inherent character traits of all persons.

Quote:
And worst of all, his departure from ME is believed to be "his desire to enjoy the life/bliss in the UL." While reading the books, I nowhere got these ideas, so how come many readers ignore there facts clearly written the book and degrade Frodo?
Hm, I donīt see the problem here. Frodo left ME because he felt a kind of unrest which could not be healed there. His wish to live a life without this pain might be inspired by self interest, but I wouldnīt condemn him for this.

P.S. It would be neat if you adress the, so called, clearly written facts. Often times you claim that the book says the complete opposite. Maybe you could give us examples of this, or explicate. In many cases I really donīt know what you a refering to and just stating that they are there is not very helpful.

Last edited by Leaf; 08-23-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote