View Single Post
Old 02-01-2001, 12:53 PM   #78
amyrlis
Wight

amyrlis has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: Elrond the vampire</b><br><br> Ah, but we are a grand host here at the Downs - 200+ strong! <br> <br> I realize that in my previous post I didn't really say WHY I got hooked on these books. I think it's because I'm like Samwise in that I'm just fascinated by elves! Being a product of American 80's culture, I've always had a thing for unicorns, gnomes, and the like. But elves have always been special. Of course, when I was first exposed to The Hobbit, I was under the impression that elves were green, funny-looking people, similair to how they are depicted in the cartoon Hobbit. But, I was so much more intrigued by them when I learned their true guise. Then, when I read the Sil, I was just blown away by Tolkien's version of the creation of Earth and I love the Valar. Mythology has always intrigued me.<br> <br> In another post on this forum, it's been asked of us if we have used Tolkien quotes in real world situations. I can't say I've ever done that, but I do think of Manwe when the wind blows, and have unintentionally called the constellation Orion, Orome. Also, not having fireflies in our climate, when I have visited a place that does, I feel like I'm in Rivendell. I'm not sure of any other books I've read which have had this kind of affect on me. <p>-amyrlis</p>