View Single Post
Old 03-31-2004, 12:52 PM   #6
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Silmaril

Estelyn,

I love this thread; my answer has been percolating for days. I did go thru the scriptures and find some references, and gave it much thought. Here is a distilled and simplified response. (Since faith is a large part of who I am, that's going to show up in this answer, intermingled with references to LotR....) Here is my gut-level and scriptural considerations of a Hobbits' six steps to happiness.

1. Delight in simple things.
To me Delight is too strong a word, perhaps because I associate it with "Delight thyself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." So I would modify this slightly: enjoy simple things. Hobbits enjoy simple things. A flower, a mushroom (growing or cooked), a well-tilled field, a good pipe, ale, or meal. And I should practice doing the same. I would add: be content with the simple things. "Enjoy and be content with simple things."

2. Make light of your troubles.
"Count it all joy when you encounter various fiery trials... " Definitely. But I'm not good at it. If I had been with Merry and Pippin in Fangorn, I doubt I would have been chirping along with them. I need a hobbit's sense of humor! (God grant me wisdom, character and grace to DO it, and not just verbally agree to it.)

3. Get personal.
Yes; This one's easy... "Love your neighbor." And all those biblical one-anothers.
Frodo and Sam display the ideal friendship to me-- except that they are close only for four years, and then they are parted til Rosie dies. Too sad. Merry and Pippin, however, are a team 'til they die. Aragorn and Eomer remain friends for life.
The friendship I consider more and morelately is Frodo's early pre-war friendship with Gandalf. Gandalf was no stranger at Bag End; when he came, he was expected to stay for an extended visit. Frodo trusted him deeply. And the friendship continued after the war, even across the sea. Hmmm, I never thought of that before; makes his parting from Sam a little-- just a little-- less devastating, considering that his friendship with Gandalf had lasted for a good thirty years and was destined to continue.

4. Cultivate good character.
A no-brainer; for a supporting scripture see The Book of Proverbs... But yes, Aragorn always struck me as a man who would be able to hold his head high and not mourn his life, because he insists on doing what is right, whether it is comfortable or no. Likewise Sam. Likewise Frodo (when he's not ring-demonized inside the Sammath Naur...) Eomer, Legolas, Gimli-- stalwart do-gooders all. And amen to that; integrity is invaluable.

5. Cherish and create beauty.
I always did want to be elvish, this way. Creating beauty is scriptural, in a sense. And Tolkien (lately) has opened my eyes to the whole concept of sub-creation in worshipful imitation of The Creator (meaning, we are made in his image, and letting that image function as it ought.) But it also means cherishing the beauty of God, which is all about worship, and enjoying the beauty of his creation, which is all about thanksgiving. I wanted those Frodo-experiences of touching the mallorn-bark at Cerin Amroth. I still do.

6. Rediscover wonder.
See previous. God is a wonder; his creation is wondrous; and that shines thru in who elves are and what they do. I'm not sure that this is a hobbitish strong point, though. Certainly for Frodo (and often Sam) it is, but I wonder if that's largely Bilbo's elvish influence on them. I suspect it is. Nevertheless-- I want to be elvish this way, too.

I don't want to resemble a normal hobbit-- too "parochial", too neighborhood-bound, too inward-looking and self satisfied. But an elf-fraternizing, adventurous hobbit-- Yes. Tookish!