View Single Post
Old 04-21-2004, 12:18 PM   #100
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Its almost equivalent to taking some scenes from Marlowe's Jew of Malta, & Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice & trying to produce a 'canonical' Elizabethan view of 'Jewishness'', or combining Marlowe's Faustus & Goethe's Faust to get at the 'true' version of the legend. There simply isn't a 'canonical' Silmarillion - its the fox that isn't there.(davem)
I would say that it is more akin to reading earlier drafts of The Merchant of Venice and trying to form a 'canonical' view of Shylock, rather than solely analyzing the Shylock who made it through to the final script. I can understand what you are saying about Tolkien as a writer, but what you classify as an attempt "to tell a number of stories, construct a number of 'Legendaria'" I tend to see more as a gradual revision and refinement of a single 'Legendarium'. I do agree fully that there can be no 'canonical' Silm, and that under the parameters above only LotR (and possibly the Hobbit) can truly be considered 'canonical' to the legend of Middle-earth. Thus, I also agree with you that the Revised Silmarillion can and should be no more than a hobby.