View Single Post
Old 10-22-2003, 11:03 PM   #251
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Raefindel,

Which of the 2004 calendars did you buy? I've seen a number of them on e-bay. What does the front cover look like, or who is the illustrator?

I have the one illustrated by Ted Nasmith.

Samwise,

Hi! I rarely bump into you since I spend so much time down in the Shire.

I am still collecting but more slowly than I did a year ago. The thing I've been buying longest is books-- I go all the way back to the psychedelic Ballantines. Also, posters and maps. But, since the movies came out, I've expanded into other areas: especially Rawcliffe figures, calendars, and postcards.

For a very long time, I've wanted to get the first edition hardcovers of the LotR that were put out in the U.S. by Houghton Mifflin. When I was in college, my roomate had them and I really envied her that. They were only five bucks each, but I was scambling to keep body and soul together and paperbacks were the best I could manage.

This summer I lurked on e-bay. Boy, did I lurk, coming back day after day! Most of them were way too rich for my blood. But one-by-one I finally managed to get them by barain hunting. A professional collector would probably turn up his nose, since they are later printings of the first edition. They are sturdy but definitely look used. One has a "real" dustjacket and two have facsimile ones that look like the original did when it was new.

Anyways I'm very pleased with them. I've got them displayed on the top shelf of my bookcase in our dining room.

For the next few months, I'll stay away from older books on e-bay. With the interest in RotK growing (plus the holidays), the prices start soaring again. I find a good time to buy is in the summer when folk's minds are on vacations and such.

Hobbit costumes

My daughter decided she wanted to be a hobbit for the fall carnival at her school where they go in costume. (Honest, this wasn't my idea!) So I got to bid on a pair of big hobbit feet! They even fit me.

The hard thing is that there are tons of hobbit lad costumes out there but no one does them for the girls. I know you folk are
all talented and can sew such things, but not me! I scavanged the web forever and finally found a medieval peasant costume that would fit a girl complete with a little laced bodice. It should arrive next week.

sharon

[ October 23, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]