View Single Post
Old 06-05-2005, 08:23 PM   #171
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily Gamgee
Everyone is beautiful. No one is "more beautiful" than anyone else.
Just have to add my two cents here as I'm a bit older and older people feel the need to ramble on now and then.

Took the kids recently to an amusement park which was attended that day by high school alumni, present schoolpersons, etc. Ran into some old friends and acquaintances, and of course saw a bunch of young people whom I'll never know.

Anyway, remembered when I was back in high school and concerned about how I looked, and how I'd wished that I was more like the football star or whatever. Was like those young people that I saw, looking to be hip/cool/ whatever it was called, concerned about the hair, clothes and not looking too stupid or too different.

Now, you might not believe this from where you're standing, but the football star is aged and bald, and some of the hot crowd are middle-aged, overweight, overbaked, overmade maxed-out lifers. Some of the people are miserable, as it seems to me that for them it was all about the outside. Others changed on the outside, but were the same person that I'd known years ago. Weird thing is, now that the all important 'cliche' is no more, alumni who would not look at me back in the day now share stories about their kids.

When we walked that park as teenagers we never thought that we'd ever be like those older people, but here I am now.

So anyway, not that I was making a point, but enjoy who you are - life's too short. You're going to age, you're going to change, and my suggestion is that if you have to get wrinkles anyway, get them from laughing with good friends.

P.S. And my son already knows the story of Narcissus...
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote