View Single Post
Old 10-22-2019, 09:52 AM   #33
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
A new link has emerged to tie the Amazon series to Game of Thrones.

Are the signs indeed pointing toward a new GoT with a Tolkien flavor?
My question is, what the heck is up with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadline
No details about the characters are being revealed but it is believed that English actor Mawle will play the series’ lead villain, Oren, opposite Poulter’s young hero Beldor and female lead Tyra (Kavenagh)
Oren? Beldor? Tyra? Those can't be real names, right?

-They're very clearly not Adunaic names. Those come in forms like Îbal and Zamîn; having three without accents on would be implausible, given how accented Adunaic is in general.

-Beldor looks like Sindarin, but I think it might be... bad Sindarin? 'Bel' could be Beleg (strong), and 'dor' is, well, Dor (land), but a) Strong Land is a stupid name for a person, and b) I'm pretty sure you'd wind up with something like Belegdhor, or even Belendor, not 'Beldor'.

-Tyra is clearly not Sindarin, with that ending - the only instance of 'yra' in the entire Sindarin corpus is in the collective plural yrath of the suggested Sindarin form yr of Noldorin ior. I don't think it can be Sindarin, either - 'ty' seems to be a consonant cluster, so can't be followed by another consonant. What it is is an Old Norse name, derived from Tyr (the god), which means it could be standing in for Northern Mannish.

--Which takes us back to Beldor, which is very close to Baldr, the son of Odin. So we have two possible Northern Mannish names - but would they really set a Second Age series up in Lake Town? (Or maybe they're dwarves? That would be hilarious, actually.)

-Oren... well, in our world it's a Hebrew name, so if you accept the reductive 'dwarves are Tolkien's Jews' stance, you've got a good case for Khazad-Dum: The Series (not gonna lie, I'd love that). It could be Quenya, using órë, 'heart' - in fact if you put the accent back on, it's valid Quenya for 'my heart'. There's nothing to stop it being Sindarin, but it feels a bit too Quenya-y for that to me.

So. We have three characters who cannot all be Elves, and cannot all be Numenoreans. They could all be dwarves (maybe), or Men of Middle-earth - but those really aren't the sort of stories you'd expect to see in such a series. Taking a quick look at the actors, I can see Elf or Numenorean in the two heroes, but not Dwarf. 'Oren's' actor could pull off a Dwarf, but I'm not sure he could play an Elf or Annatar.

Best guess? Fake names, because they're actually playing canon characters. Given the number of pouting faces both of the 'goodies' pull in their Google photos, I'm guessing Aldarion and Erendis.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote