View Single Post
Old 05-29-2002, 06:18 PM   #10
Kalessin
Wight

Kalessin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm hesitant to comment, given that people are reflecting on personal experience here, but perhaps that is the point -

Quote:
... a positive step and an attempt to turn the corner on grief. I have no professional background in this, but I do know how I felt and reacted after facing a terrible tragedy and loss ...

... maybe a seer and prophet, which Frodo has become, needs something else, a different path, which most of us have trouble comprehending
It is my wish to be fully respectful and sensitive to the identification with aspects of the book that any (or all) of us may feel in light of our own lives. This is, if not necessarily the purpose, at least the nature of art at times. It is cathartic, it can be a translucent mirror in which we see ourselves, and outside of ourselves, at the same time. This can be enlightening and liberating, and similarly humbling and challenging. And, naturally, the act of perceiving and experiencing profound themes and narratives takes place within the frame of our own emotions and psyche.

Yet I would question the rationalisation of Frodo's departure from the Grey Havens in the jargon of modern psychology, for two reasons. One is that, whilst Tolkien would nodoubt have a first-hand concept of trauma and grief from his experiences of two world wars, his culture, tradition and beliefs would seem to me to be some distance from the rather (ironically) impersonal theories of psychology that are part of modern parlance. The essence of LotR seems more rooted in epic myth than in psychodrama, and it is the moral struggles (and the physical battles) that are the true test of each character and provide the narrative with depth. The idea of "coping strategies", or "visualisation", and so on, don't exactly dovetail with the tone of the book. In addition, my second hesitation is that the applicability of psychotherapeutic terminology is limited, mainly to Frodo. Eomer, Faramir, Aragorn, Sam and so on respond to the triumphs and woes with heroic grace, stoicism, grief and so on, expressed in pretty much traditional terms.

This is not to say that the applicability of the books to our own experiences and psychology is not relevant or valuable. It is, and we can find both insight and identification. There is something of the human condition in there (in the non-human characters as well) and both wisdom and compassion. There is a narrative of healing and redemption that, whatever its terminology, we can relate to in our different ways.

Sharon's point about Frodo's status as a seer or prophet is an interesting one. There are certainly glimpses of something like this - an aura, or particular archetypal quality - associated specifically with Frodo.

In relation to the Grey Havens, however, perhaps the key element to the narrative is pathos - or poignancy - in Frodo's final departure. It may be partly "the end of an era" in mythic terms, it may be truly the end of The Fellowship or brotherhood of heroes, it may be the end of Frodo's journey of sacrifice ... it is also the moment when, for once, Sam cannot follow his beloved master. In the narrative itself it seems to me a true moment of quietness and a reflective sadness, rather than 'grief'. It is understated, dreamlike and dignified, and with Bilbo's presence, almost surreal. The passing into history, perhaps. And it offers a structural focus in the telling of the story ... instead of Bilbo's "lived happily ever after", or an interminable and somewhat cursory listing of sons, daughters, grandsons and mayoral elections, it is AN END, an exhalation. (I would have said 'closure' but that would contradict my point about psychological terminology [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] - hopefully you get my point)

I'm not sure. I think Sharon may have something, though it is rather ambiguous. I'd be interested in Tolkien's onwn thoughts, if anyone has pertinent references. Again, I ask that people please take these points on face value, as no more than light discussion of the possible interpretations of the narrative. What each learn or take from the story is precious and personal, to be cherished and respected, and I acknowledge that for myself and all readers.

Peace [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ May 29, 2002: Message edited by: Kalessin ]