View Single Post
Old 10-27-2003, 04:18 PM   #2
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

So know some comments. Where Maedhros Version and my own are parallel in detail I will not coment on it:

§1a-f Maedhros had only my §1f but since I think we need as much narative as we can get to make the break bearable between Wh and our text I toke what ever I could get.
At the end of §1a I toke "clearings" and "confederation" out of the discribtion of the wood-man.
In §1e I made Asgon and Húrin the speakers, because that seemed must natural for me.
At the end of §1f we must take out Brethil as a land were Húrin would not jet go since he is coming out of it.

§2 Maedhros toke that one out of the Sil77 (it started with Now Húrin crossed over Taeglin .... But my paragraphs §1a-d had already told the contend.

§3a-c Maedhros toke the complet paragraph from Sil77. But I enlarged the text with TT.

$4a-e; §5; §6a-b Maedhros toke this §§ again directly out of the Sil77. He only added Mîm's cruse at the and. In my version Mîm tries to conceal his name. He only revales it at his end after Húrin had dealed the deathblow (§6). In that way we have a posibility of a longer conversation. I thought it a bit unprobable for Mîm to give the treasure away even for his life, when you consider the "gold"-roots in his sack from which he would not part even for the possible death of his son's.

§7 I toke §7 after I saw it fit very well in Maedhros version. I my sefl at a lose to take anything out of the Sil77 with out dear need. And that I could not see here.

§10a Equally to the Dwarves Húrin cold not pass so easily the Girdle of Melian (or he should not). So I toke the secret bridge over Sirion as a simple device easy to work in. Mablung is heading to this guarded bridge when he returns with Nienor from Nargothrond.

§10b Since the change of the bridge, I wanted a paragraph change here. At the and of the § I toke out the last sentence since at least the death of Nienor was known to Thingol by the report of Mablung.

§11 I moved Thingols enduring Húrins scorn to the begining of the §. Because Húrin is already scorning from the begining.

§14; §15 Maedhros toke her the §§ beginning with Then Thingol looked upon the great treasure ... out of the Sil77. But for me that was much to soft. Thingol is changed but he is not as week as that. If we take out Húrins healing by Melian, I can't find any reason wy Thingol should not be worth and send Húrin out with bitter words. And we had never seen Melian dealing with guest. Ever it is Thingol that speaks she gives only counsel.

$16 Since I will follow Aiwendils device to let the Outlaws fate unclear I have moved the death of Húrin further down. See next section.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote