View Single Post
Old 10-24-2017, 10:02 PM   #5
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dūm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
The best glimpse of the fate of Men's spirits seems to be in The Silmarillion, dealing with Beren after his death.

From that, it looks like Men just wait for a time in Mandos until they leave Arda. What they wait for is unknown. An opportunity to reflect on their life? Do they lose all memory then when they leave forever? No way to know. But at any rate there's no mention of any manner of judgement at Mandos; and, as Zigūr said, I wouldn't think it was the place of the Valar, as fellow created beings of Ilśvatar, to have done so.
Great quotes Inziladun. I'm reminded, again, that every return to the narrative, there's a heart-revival or new wisdom of the heart to hear from the mythology. I had never encoded deeply that sentiment and it implies a parting of Beren and Luthien in a 'forever' way. That is indeed a very different nostalgia of emphasis than the Choice of the Pereldar, who seem to have a permission to access either path.

In the ways of Parting as they are an agony as reflected in the parting of Arwen and Elrond (with less known about his heart and Elladan and Elrohir), it seems then, that Elrond's choice to stand with the Eldar parted him from Elros -- forever -- and then from all of his children. No solace for him for his choice to stand with the Eldar with any of his family. Separated, also from his foster-son who was his brother's descendant as well.