View Single Post
Old 01-23-2006, 12:38 PM   #33
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Hmm .. raised Anglican (baptised and confirmed), both parents Anglicans who went to Catholic schools (father's family originally Irish Catholics) which had a lasting effect and high church (Anglo-catholic) leanings which they passed on to me. My mother had a simple faith which she kept til her death my father I think likes the ritual but is probably near agnostic. Basically we went to church but were not especially involved or devout. My mother was keen that we were confirmed so we "belonged" and then it was up to us. After I was confirmed at 12 I did start to believe properly and this coincided with my first Tolkien phase. Iwas very involved with my church and choir in Paris (Anglican) and chapel at Oxford (methodist ecumenical)... but various things caused my faith to fail and the manner of my mother's death finished it. Just afterwards the films came out and I got into Tolkien again.

I don't disbelieve in God - I just can't believe he cares so I am a somewhat regretful agnostic. I would like it to be true and can almost believe when I hear Handel or Bach.... but there is a lot about the church I am glad to be away from.... If I were choosing religion from scratch - well Judaism seems life affirming and has appealed but there is the basic God problem.

SO I have loved Tolkien as both a committed Christian and as an Agnostic - make of that what you will.

At least ticking other means I don't have to decide the Anglo-Catholic thing...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 04-03-2006 at 11:42 AM. Reason: typo
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote