View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #61
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
To get back to the topic of this thread . . . .

"Racism" is a very slippery word and quite possibly in any discussion it ought to be defined or explained clearly and precisely. It might be helpful as well if specific examples are referred.

I offer this one quotation for people to discuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolkien, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields
And if the Rohirrim at their onset were thrice outnumbered by the Haradrim alone, soon their case became worse; for new strength came now streaming to the field out of Osgiliath. There they had been mustered for the sack of the City and the rape of Gondor, waiting on the call of their Captain. He now was destroyed; but Gothmog the lieutenant of Morgul had flung them into the fray; Easterlings with axes, and Variags of Khand, Southrons in scarlet, and out of Far Harad black men like half-trolls with white eyes and red tongues. Some now hastened up behind the Rohirrim, others held westward to hold off the forces of Gondor and prevent their joining with Rohan.
The bolding is of course mine. How do we read this quotation?