View Single Post
Old 01-01-2003, 03:59 PM   #26
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Quote:
since elves can walk on snow, don't get sick, and are immortal, maybe thay can order their hair to change colour.
I doubt that is the case. If (note if) Elves changed their hair color at all, it would most likely be through natural coloring. However, there would really be no reason for Elves to change their hair color (unless they are vainer than I think them to be), as I doubt they really care.

I just think that the issue with Legolas's hair color is one of those unsolved mysteries that will remain unsolved to all of us until we move on to the next plane of existence (whatever your religion promotes as the next plane) and get the chance to ask Tolkien himself [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] . And, when we reach that next stage, we will probably have stopped caring (unless you are like me, and already just let the question go). I, personally, just let the issue go and agree with whatever anyone says, as we really do not know.

Hmmm...I just thought: did anyone ever write a letter to Tolkien that may have turned up in some book somewhere where Tolkien describes Legolas's physical appearance? Because the closest thing I have to a physical description is Tolkien's frustrated defense of Legolas's masculinity in "The Book of Lost Tales Volume 2".