View Single Post
Old 10-24-2002, 05:34 AM   #274
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Cami awoke with a start the next morning. A loud 'neekerbreeker' was being broadcast directly into her right ear. She stretched and yawned, and tried to roll over again, hoping to fall back asleep.

The neekerbreeker chant continued, and indeed grew successively louder. She glared at Bird who now hopped down to perch boldly on her shoulder.

"You're too early," Cami grumbled to her friend.

The response came back clear and insistent, "Not if you want to go see Daisy. I've been blowing in your ear for the past ten minutes. I have managed to secure you a truly choice assignment that you will want to take advantage of. Both you and Rose."

"Where is Rose?" Cami mumbled.

"She's already up and in the breakfast line. There will be no breakfast left unless you hurry. I, however, will feast royally on the remains of the day, whether or not you get anything."

Cami wished she had a pillow to hurtle in the direction of this enormously cheerful and annoying insect. Upon hearing the warning about her breakfast vanishing, she did manage to stir herself off the ground and began looking for her clothes.

"My clothes, they're not here," she muttered in alarm, looking at the place where she was sure she'd left them.

The cheerful insect voice came back to her, "Oh, no, those were too good for the job you'll be doing." Cami wondered exactly what this new job might entail. The insect's words did not sound promising. She went over to the pile of tattered garments which Bird insisted she put on.

In a few moments, she dressed and propelled her body in the direction of the breakfast line where she picked up a small roll and a portion of mush. She saw a few folk were actually chewing on apples. Unfortuntely, it was too late to take advantage of that. The apple platter was empty. Tomorrow, she reminded herself, she'd do things differently.

Rose and Azraph were seated and nearly finished with breakfast by the time Cami joined them. An old man in rags sat beside them. It took her a moment to realize that the figure in threadbare pants and shirt was actually Loremaster who'd dressed the part in order to accompany them.

What was this important job? But when she asked Loremaster, he only smiled and told her she would see directly after breakfast. Then he handed her a shovel which she set down on the ground beside her as she ate.

[ October 28, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]