View Single Post
Old 11-02-2018, 02:36 PM   #13
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

ArcusCalion has just left Hobbiton.
While reading through Beren and Lúthien, I came upon this footnote in the chapter The Return of Beren and Lúthien According to the Quenta Noldorinwa:
Quote:
A later version of the story concerning the Nauglamír told that it had been made by craftsmen of the Dwarves long before for Felagund, and that it was the sole treasure that Húrin brought from Nargothrond and gave to Thingol. The task that Thingol then set the Dwarves was to remake the Nauglamír and in it to set the Silmaril that was in his possession. This is the form of the story in the published Silmarillion.
This note has many many ramifications for the entire Ruin of Doriath text which the project has made, but setting it aside for the time being, in our present text, we have no mention of the Nauglamír until it is set upon the neck of Thingol already named. We must give some account of its origin, and although I am no expert in the texts, it would seem that the only two accounts are 1) the Lost Tales account, and 2) the mention in this footnote which was adopted in the Sil77. Therefore, since the version used in the Sil77 is the later of the two, I propose that even if we change nothing about the Ruin of Doriath text, we include the account of its making from the Sil77 here in this chapter. Like so:
Quote:
.... Finrod had brought more treasure out of Túna than any of the other princes.> NG-EX-04.85 <Sil77 And in that time was made for him the Nauglamír, the Necklace of the Dwarves, most renowned of their works in the Elder Days. It was a carcanet of gold, and set therein were gems uncounted from Valinor; but it had a power within it so that it rested lightly on its wearer as a strand of flax, and whatsoever neck it clasped it sat always with grace and loveliness.>
Yet Galadriel his sister ....
EDIT: Having discussed the note in the thread of the Ruin of Doriath with Aiwendil, we decided to keep the draft the same. So we don't need to do this change.

Last edited by ArcusCalion; 11-04-2018 at 12:55 PM.
ArcusCalion is offline   Reply With Quote