View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 01:08 PM   #5
Meriadoc1961
Wight

Meriadoc1961 has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I would have to say that I find myself nodding in agreement to what has been written so far. I found Theodred's death scene quite moving, and gave a better insight to the people of Rohan. I really enjoyed the way the simbelmyne (sorry if I misspelled it - the books are not in front of me) were shown to grow immediately over his fresh grave.

I did not have any problem with lines from the book being given to other characters, maybe because they were not altered otherwise, as was said about Wormtongue and Treebeard saying in the movie what someone else had said in the book. I thought it was perfectly acceptable for Gandalf to give his "far green country" speech to encourage and strengthen Pippin before the battle in Minas tirith, and yet what he said was not spoken, but only written as Frodo was reaching Elvenhome in the book.

For that matter, I do not even have a problem with Pippin and Merry setting off the dragon fireworks in the movie as it did nothing really to change their characters, although those of us who read the book know this did nto happen.

By the way, I did think Jackson and Co. did an excellent job with Gandalf's fireworks, and how they showed the sheer joy demonstrated by Gandalf as he was setting them off for the little people he loved so much.

Merry