View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 12:27 PM   #9
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Kohran View Post
I liked the redesigned ending to FOTR.
I'd definitely have to agree with that - also the fact that (despite TTT being excruciatingly boring without its beginning and end) Shelob was moved to ROTK. I had the three-volume book when I first read LotR, but I recall my friend Kayla owned only the first two volumes... when she got to the end of TTT she threw the book against the wall and yelled "Oh, great! Now I get to wait until Monday so I can go to the bookstore to find out what happens to Frodo!"

I'm kind of split on one scene: mostly in the EE, but during RotK, when Denethor tells Faramir he should have died rather than Boromir. Given, it's a beautiful, sad scene, and David Wenham is fabulous. But the context of the scene is not "I hate you, my son, go die." It's more like... "If you're not as stubborn and strong as your brother was, we're all going to die," and Denethor used it in a frustrated, provocative sense in front of Gandalf and half the court. I like the scene... I just feel angry that Faramir is made so dependent on his father's approval.

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote