View Single Post
Old 09-11-2003, 05:25 PM   #19
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

The X Phial has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Settlers

Borgand strode through the camp in the early morning light, intent on keeping his footing on the rocky terrain. The sounds of metal on wood were already ringing across the lake, as well as men shouting and laughing together over hard work. The people of the settlement were still felling trees, trying to get together enough building materials for a low wall around the camp and the beginnings of some of the most important town buildings, which would later be rebuilt in stone. Rudimentary cabins of wood had already been started for sleeping in, though personal housing was not yet thought of. The settlers were mostly content to live out of their tents until the final plans for the town were drawn up by the dwarves and approved. Borgand would be heading to see the Dwarves about the plans as soon as the watch was changed.

No word had been heard of the Hillmen since Calumdril had noticed their traces on the first night. The rangers who had come to watch the camp were silent on the matter. Though they showed Borgand and his people all due respect outwardly, there was condescension in their eyes, as if they thought of the settlers like children they were too important to be babysitting. Borgand relied on Calumdril’s sharp senses and training to keep him informed on the status of the surrounding area. He knew the activities in the woods had scared away most of the game, for instance, and that messengers from the ranger camp still managed to disappear in front of his highly trained soldiers as if they, themselves were part of the landscape.

The soldiers were awake, if not totally alert, and Borgand saw Calumdril sneak up on one of them as a lesson in watchfulness. He chuckled to himself at the look of surprise, but resolved to set the guards to a more disciplined training schedule. They couldn’t afford to allow surprises. On the other hand, most men in the camp were pulling double duty, guard for a shift and then the hard work of felling trees. Only the injured, the healers, and Calumdril had been exempted, though all were kept busy with their own work.

For Borgand the hardest task had been the daily meetings with the Dwarf contingency. The entire group seemed insular and suspicious of other races and Borgand had to remind himself that they were master craftsmen and not just guests. There were numerous complaints about the accommodations, and an entire 10th of the population of the camp had been set to work building a forge to their specifications while they worked on surveying the land and drawing up plans. Borgand mused on the problems of dealing with the many children while so much dangerous work was going on. Several of the older girls had started gathering at his tent in the morning to get instructions from Illith on keeping the children of the camp busy and out of the way. He was grateful to have so many excellent human resources at his disposal.

Finally catching up with Calumdril, Borgand broke into a smile.

“You’re up early, friend,” he started. “Anything astir around us today?”

“Nothing, including game. I was hoping to find a hare or deer to supplement our rations, but it seems our arrival has sent everything else into hiding.”

Borgand nodded at him. “We do have enough stores for the moment, but we will need to start finding game soon if we are to last until the crops are planted and harvested. It is lucky we have arrived during the planting season. We may still be able to get a crop in and harvested before winter. In any case, I was relying on trade with Bree and successful hunting to see us through.”

“Aye. Well, I am certain we will find something soon. Especially since this noise cannot last forever.”

“Any word from the rangers?”

“They are as tight-lipped as ever,” Calumdril sighed. “I think I am winning some ground, however. They no longer feign boredom when I speak.” His eyes were twinkling with what was either amusement or irony.

“Well, you are among the best of us. If they cannot see that, they are not worth our concern.” Borgand cut Calumdril off when he would have replied. “I have to go and meet with the dwarves. If I am late they mutter in some language or another and I am sure it is not with concern for my busy schedule,” he winked.

Borgand nodded to the now hypervigilant guards and noted that they were still red with embarrassment at having been caught unawares. He gave them a rare smile and headed back into the camp to see if the dwarves were any closer to finalizing the plans.