View Single Post
Old 09-09-2004, 08:36 PM   #85
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I went back and looked (albeit quickly) at each change individually.

VE-01: The original changes look fine

VE-02: I expressed some doubts earlier in the thread about using QS77 and AB here. I still have these reservations, but it's not a critical point to me.

VE-03: I think we came to an agreement on this.

VE-04: This looks good.

VE-05: I'm not sure whether we finally agreed on Findegil's proposal (post 50) to switch the paragraphs. I would go with it.

VE-06: Good.

VE-07: It still feels a little awkward to me, but I think there may be nothing we can do about that. The one thing that strikes me that we might change is:

Quote:
[Tuor and Idril] {bids} [bade] farwell to {Eärendel} [Eärendil] and {bids} [bade] him thrust it off <EL {And} [but] before Idril set sail she said to Eärendil her son: “The Elessar I leave with thee, for there are grievous hurts to Middle-earth which thou maybe shalt heal. But to none other shalt thou deliver it.”> {and with Idril he} Then [they] set sail <TY [(and some say Voronwë with them)]> into the sunset and the West[.]
. . . the addition of "then" after Idril's speech, to make the edits flow together more smoothly.

VE-08: I'm confused. Did we accidentally start calling this "VE-04" above?
We elected not to use LotR additions. Did we come to an agreement on the LT?

VE-09: Correcting "Lothrim" back to "folk of Sirion" as agreed, this looks good.

VE-10: I believe Maedhros had a possible objection to the addition from the Name-list which was never resolved.

VE-11: Looking back at this, I think that the addition of the LT material on the Sleeper in the Tower of Pearl is very disjointed. We might try smoothing it out - but no matter what we do, it will be awkward, since it plays no logical role in the sentence it interrupts.

Even if we keep it, we must consider the poem. As I said earlier, there is a major problem there with lines like:

Quote:
with orient fire in many a hoarded spark
that divers won
in waters of the rumoured Sun.
. . . and with the phrase "past Gondobar".

VE-12: I think this is good.

VE-13: After being discussed at great length, this section looks good to me.

VE-14 - VE-19: With the minor corrections to these, they are good.

VE-20: Did we ever come to a final decision on the MT additions? I'm still inclined against them.

VE-21: I think the decision in the Prophecy thread is good.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote