View Single Post
Old 12-12-2004, 07:50 AM   #13
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Or rather "Nulukkhizdīn" with two "k"s. Good catch.
It seems I have a bad habit of introducing my own faults into the text. Believe me or not I realy had read the text so that it was in Sil77 only a misprint from H to K. That's one of so many benefits of working as a team.

RD-SL-03:
So we will make Húrin the slayer of Mîm. Lets have that version with a bit of context:
Quote:
§4b (§276)<TT But {Úrin}[Húrin] answered: ‘We come to take what is not thine. <Sil77 Who are you, that would hinder me from entering the house of Finrod Felagund?'

§4a (§275) Sil77 Then the Dwarf answered: 'I am Mîm; and before the proud ones came from over the Sea, Dwarves delved the halls of Nulukkhizdīn. I have but returned to take what is mine; for I am the last of my people.><TT O {Úrin}[Húrin], little did I think to see thee, a lord of Men, with such a rabble. Hearken now to the words of Mîm{ the fatherless}, and depart, touching not this gold no more than were it venomous fires. For has not {Glorund}[Glaurung] lain long years upon it, and the evil of the drakes of {Melko}[Morgoth] is on it, and no good can it bring to Man or Elf, but I, only I, can ward it, Mîm the dwarf, and by many a dark spell have I bound it to myself.'>

§4d TT Then {Úrin}[Húrin] wavered, but his men were wroth at that, so that he bid them seize it all, and Mîm stood by and watched, and he broke forth into terrible and evil curses.

§5 Thereat did {Úrin}[Húrin] smite him, saying: ‘We came but to take what was not thine - now for thy evil words we will take what is thine as well, even thy life.{'}> RD-EX-11.5 <Sil77 And{and} not unknown is it to me by whom the Dragon-helm of Dor-lómin was betrayed.'>

§6 <TT But Mîm dying said unto {Úrin}[Húrin]: ‘Now Elves and Men shall rue this deed, and because of the death of Mîm the dwarf shall death follow this gold so long as it remain on Earth, and a like fate shall every part and portion share with the whole.’ And {Úrin}[Húrin] shuddered, but his folk laughed.>
I am not sure if we should really use RD-EX-11.5 but I think it is needed in view of what we said about Húrins knowledge of Amon Rudh.

§15: If we all desire to hold these line it would be shame not to find a way to do so. What about a splitting of it:
Quote:
§10b (§282) RD-EX-12 <TT Then {Úrin}[Húrin] let bear all that magnificence before the king, but it was hidden in sacks or shut in boxes of rough wood; and {Tinwelint}[Thingol] greeted {Úrin}[Húrin] with joy and with amaze and bid him thrice welcome, and he and all his court arose in honour of that lord of Men; but {Úrin}[Húrin]'s heart was blind by reason of his tormented years and of the lies of {Melko}[Morgoth], and he said: ‘Nay, O King, I do not desire to hear such words -- but say only, where is {Mavin}[Morwen] my wife, and knowest thou what death did {Nienori}[Nienor] my daughter die?’>

§11 (§283) RD-EX-13 <Sil77 Well{well} did {he}[Thingol] understand Húrin's intent; but being filled with pity he restrained his wrath, and endured Húrin's scorn,> [RD-EX-13.5[/b] <Q30 and long he bore with Húrin.> RD-EX-14 <TT Then did {Úrin}[Húrin] fiercely tell that tale, and the king and all his folk about him hid their faces for great ruth, but {Úrin}[Húrin] said: ‘Nay, had you such a heart as have the least of Men, never would they have been lost; but lo, I bring you now a payment in full for the troubles of your puny band that went against {Glorund}[Glaurung] the drake, and deserting gave up my dear ones to his power. Gaze, O {Tinwelint}[Thingol], sweetly on my gifts, for methinks the lustre of gold is all your heart contains.’>

§12 (§284) Then Húrin bade cast it all at the feet of Thingol, RD-EX-15 <TT uncovering it so that all that court were dazzled and amazed – but {Úrin}[Húrin]'s men understood now what was forward and RD-EX-16 <editorial addition many> were little pleased. RD-EX-17 <QS77 And Húrin{and he} reproached the Elfking with wild and bitter words. ‘Receive thou thy fee,' he cried, 'for thy fair keeping of my children and my wife! For this is the {Nauglamír}[the hoard of Glaurung], whose {name}[fame] is known to many among Elves and Men,> bought by the death of {Nienori}[Nienor] with the blood of Túrin slayer of the worm. Take it, O craven king, and be glad that some Men be brave to win thee riches.'>

§15 (§286) Yet Thingol would not take the hoard{, and long he bore with Húrin}; but now {Húrin scorned him,} RD-EX-18 <TT{Then} were {Úrin}[Húrin]'s words more than {Tinwelint}[Thingol] could endure, and he said: ‘What meanest thou, child of Men, and wherefore upbraidest thou me? Long did I foster thy son and forgave him the evil of his deeds, and afterward thy wife I succoured, giving way against my counsel to her wild desires. {Melko}[Morgoth] it is that hates thee and not I. Yet what is it to me - and wherefore dost thou of the uncouth race of Men endure to upbraid a king of the Eldalie? Lo! in {Palisor}[Cuiviénen] my life began years uncounted before the first of Men awoke. Get thee gone, O {Úrin}[Húrin], for {Melko}[Morgoth] hath bewitched thee, and take thy riches with thee’ - but he forebore to slay or to bind {Úrin}[Húrin] in spells, remembering his ancient valiance in the Eldar's cause.>
§15 as it stands above should be accetable at least.

Maedhros wrote:
Quote:
But there must be a way to include the fact that Húrin was given the dragon helm in Brethil.
Aiwendil's issue 1.: I don't think that it is impossible for us to introduce the Dragon-Helm into the Narn after Dor-Cúrathol. Maédhros way to deal with the helm (simply let it reapear after in Nargothrond) is possible. I can imaging that Túrin had worne the Helm during the battle and the Orcs did not take it from his head, so that Beleg and Gwindor bore him from the camp with the Helm still on his head.
On the other hand: Christopher Tolkien does in his note suggest that the Helm must be rescued from the Orcs but is that really the case? The fight on Amon Rudh was a surprise attack. It would be quiet possible to simply add a line that when Beleg left in search of Túrin that he toke the Helm that Túrin had not worne in that battle and that the orcs had left behind.
All the other instances were the Helm is to be introduced are given in the notes to the Narn.
So Issue 1 is clearly not impossible to handle. And I agree with Maédhros that we should make an effort to bring the Helm with Túrin to Brethil.

Aiwendil's Issue 2 is much more interseting. The note is clearly older than WH. That does for me mean that the Helm was not given to Húrin in Brethil. To introduce that would be in the grey area of our rules. Anyway if we would disire to introduce it we must do so earlier when Húrin is still in Brethil. To mention that here in retrospectiv seems awakward to me. I don't think it is impossible. We could add a short note were Húrin is honored by the Moot that he later recieved also the Helm.

On the other hand, if we introduce the Helm to be given to Húrin, what would be the benefit? As fare as I can see it would be last mention of the Helms-history at all. The Helm would then disapear with Húrin out of Menegorth instead of lying in the grave with Túrin, which would be the naturall assumption if nothing is said and the Helm never reapeared after Túrins death. If we come to the conclusion that Tolkien thought that going with Húrin was the ultimate fate of the Dragon-Helm, then we should introduce the Helm in WH.

Anyway, what ever we do with the Helm, the transition between WH and The Nauglamír is, in my view, not the right place for it. This gives us a long time still to think about the issue, even if WH becomes the next part of the 'Revised Silmarillion' to be worked at.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote