View Single Post
Old 05-04-2004, 03:08 PM   #190
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Surinen

In the early morning light, as the confusion subsided and the people melted away returning to their homes, Surinen found Latah dolefully picking among the charred remains of Ayar's tent. Wrapping his arm about her shoulder he spoke gently, trying to cheer her and offering his help. And while their leader, the guardian of their people, was borne away by four men, each holding one corner of the sagging blanket, the outrider walked along side his cousin searching in the dust and mud for anything of value that could be saved.

Buckles, knives, metal goblets, ornaments and a few other things they gathered into a pile around a small scorched trunk, putting the rest aside to be later destroyed. But as they walked, Surinen's mind was in turmoil. "Latah," he said, his thoughts pressing him to speak. "Please do not spare me, but tell me of your father's thoughts in my regard, for I sense that he no longer trusts my judgment, and I do not know why that should be." Avoiding her curious glance the wiry man picked up an inkwell of discolored bronze turning it over in his hands, feigning an attempt to polish it with the end of his loose fitting sleeve. "Have you seen, or perhaps heard any rumor that I have done something to wrong him, or has Mîrya's shame cast this shadow of doubt over me? It would be a great relief to know why he might treat me so that I now feel cut off from him."

"I have heard of no complaints against you or your sister from anyone, cousin," Latah replied with sincerity, her faultless brow furrowing as she considered him. "But Fador speaks to no one of these things, least of all to his daughter. It was never his wish to burden me with such weighty matters," she said, frustration creeping into her words as she searched the ground once more. "And he only asks of my work, and shares none of his many troubles or vexations."

"I see," Surinen said, more than a little disappointed at this seemingly hopeless turn. "And has Narayad proved more willing to confide than Fador?" The outrider asked to divert the course of his falling spirits. For it amused him to think his proud friend might confide such things to this girl that he had taught to catch scorpions, in the days when her legs were as lanky as her braids, and she could not yet change shape.

Latah grinned, “He is learning cousin, learning.”

The muted clanking of a scabbard interrupted their conversation and they both looked up to catch sight of Thorn striding barefoot toward them, retying the leather thong that held his long hair as he walked. Stopping at the trunk, he surveyed the fruit of their searching, shaking his head.

“The vessel that held incense still has not been found,” Latah reported.

“Not yet,” Surinen added. “It must be here - somewhere. But how is the Meldakher now Thorn?”

“She still fights a great battle, but has been granted a reprieve for a time it seems, thanks to the ministrations of the man you have dubbed ‘grandfather’. But you should be more careful, my friend. He might take offense at the designation, and with his skill cause you great mischief.”

“But with age comes honor and experience,” Surinen said.

“Let us always hope so,” Thorn muttered. “But I have come to ask that you join Narayad in watching over our visitors until a place can be made ready for them.”

“As you wish,” the outrider said starting toward the lean-to, “I will go immediately.”

“One more thing that you should be made aware of,” Thorn called after him. “This one called Rôg knows our clan’s speech, so take care what you say in front of him.”

“Yes Thorn, I will be careful,” Surinen reassured him, before he grew silent trying to recall exactly the words had been spoken the night he and his friend had shared coffee with Rôg.

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 05-07-2004 at 10:17 AM.