View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #54
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
You know, I just saw someone on FB call a picture of this character "beautiful". (Not the picture we have here.)

Different strokes for different folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuru
Perhaps he never had an opportunity to flesh it out. It is part of his "unfinished, published posthumously" work.
Possibly. I've never checked out HoMe on Idril, mainly because I'm still enjoying BoLT too much.

But the lack of time, given how much niggling he did do on the Silm, is not really an explanation. The point still remains that he did spend time on Galadriel and Melian, who have flaws, but not on Idril, who folks here would seem to assume was a very positive character. Would flaws have come to light had Tolkien developed her? Or was he more interested in the flawed characters and less in the good? After all, we have a great deal about Turin but less about Tuor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marketing info on Tauriel
slightly reckless and totally ruthless and doesn’t hesitate to kill'
This I am positive would not be appropriate for any of Tolkien's heroes, let along his heroines. It was Gandalf, after all, who warned Frodo against killing Gollem and showing him mercy instead. That could not be said even of the Rohirrim, with their battle ethic. And I'm darn sure Tolkien would not have put it in a bedtime story for his sons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir to Galadriel55
I will only beat you with a banana if you don't like me because of it
Ooh, careful. I've seen how swift Gal55 is with a banana in person.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 06-10-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote