View Single Post
Old 11-20-2006, 12:58 PM   #6
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Typically beautifully ominous Mandos. I think he refers here to the arrival of Fingolfin's host at the rising of the Sun and Moon, ushering in the glories of the noldor which will enrich and destroy the Elves. I think.
I agree with your interpretation; in HoME IV, I think this is even more apparent in the last note to chapter six of the Quenta:
Quote:
...for measured time had come into the world, and the first of days; and thereafter the lives of the Eldar that remained in the Hither Lands were lessened, and their waning was begun.
Quote:
Quote:
"Shall they walk in darkness while we have light? Shall they call Melkor lord while Manwë sits upon Taniquetil?'
Yavanna's best line yet. Sadly, ultimately the answer, for all Tulkas can do, will be Yes, they will.
You are correct, less the part where they called Melkor lord; elves, unlike, never served Melkor willingly.
Quote:
The wonderful, naive, innocent arrogance of this, a child's self-centredness, especially as Orome is about to ride up to them!
I wonder at what time did the talking animals started to appear - besides the eagles.
Quote:
Is this truly a Summons, or only an Invitation?
In the context, I belive it is a summon with a twist, as seen in Later Quenta Silmarillion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Of the coming of the elves, HoME X
Nonetheless the Elves were at first unwilling to hearken to the summons, for they had as yet seen the Valar only in their wrath as they went to war, save Orome alone, and they were filled with dread. Therefore Orome was sent again to them, and he chose from among them three ambassadors; and he brought them to Valmar. These were Ingwe and Finwe and Elwe, who after were kings of the Three Kindreds of the Eldar; and coming they were filled with awe by the glory and majesty of the Valar and desired greatly the light and splendour of the Trees. Therefore they returned and counselled the Elves to remove into the West, and the greater part of the people hearkened to their counsel. This they did of their free will, and yet were swayed by the majesty of the gods, ere their own wisdom was full grown.
It seems like the valar "took advantage" of the premature elves; this view would be supported by Unfinished Tales also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Istari
And this [the sending of the Istari] the Valar did, desiring to amend the errors of old, especially that they had attempted to guard and seclude the Eldar by their own might and glory fully revealed