View Single Post
Old 07-07-2003, 11:42 AM   #283
Kylan MacConnell

Sting

Hi all,
Second post on here, usually just lurk and read, but this one got me.

Alot of you may not be old enough, or have looked back far enough, to catch some of the earliest Sci-fi/fantasy of A.A. Merritt, Edgar Rice Burroughs, H. Rider Haggard and of course H.G. Wells, all of whom preceeded Tolkien. Burroughs was contempory with him.

These are just a few I grew up reading and was well hooked before I ever saw LOTR.

I have read so many good sci-fi/fantasy over the years I can't begin to list them all. Andre Norton, Marrion Zimmer Bradley (Witch World series as well as the 'Mists of Avalon'), Gordon Dickson, Poul Anderson, David Eddings, Piers Anthony (Adept set), Elizabeth Moon (just finished rereading the Deeds Of Paksennarion), Melanie Rawn's 2 trilogies for a few for you to check out.

Just started 'The Silver Call' one of Dennis McKiernan's Mithgar novels, obviously and acknowledged by him as being greatly influenced by Tolkien, but very well done and hard to put down.

Anyway enough for now. Just had to put in something from an 'OLD' fantasy/sci-fi reader. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]