View Single Post
Old 03-08-2003, 04:03 PM   #143
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Hap Bywater took his time returning to the Old Dragon’s house. Sure, there was the promise of the extra penny for him once he returned with the reply, but Miss Amaranthas scared him. Her and her blackthorn stick. His feet dragged up the dusty path to her house.

Ah! She was nowhere in sight! He sprinted to her porch and left the letter in front of her door, rapping loudly on it twice. Then off he hared like a rabbit with the hounds after him. Penny or no, he was not staying about ‘til she answered.

Amaranthas opened the door, only to see a whir of dust moving back down the path. ‘Just as well,’ she thought. ‘Now I don’t have to lighten my purse for that lackwit.’ She was in a particularly prickly mood at the moment as the ride home on Pio’s horse had jarred her bones and set them to aching. She hobbled back to her chair and placed the heated bricks, wrapped in flannel against her hips, letting the warmth of them ease the pain.

Angelica had agreed with her. Excellent! She reached to the small table beside her, drawing the small, portable desk there onto her lap. She tapped the pen against her cheek, thinking how she might word her letter.

The afternoon sun poured in warmly through the open window by her chair, and just outside on the tall spikes of lavender foxglove, the fat bumblebees made merry with the sweet, inviting flowers. Their thick hum was soon punctuated by the scritch . . . scritch of her pen moving across the vellum.

A little fine sand to blot the ink, and she folded the letter carefully in thirds, addressing it boldly on the front:

Gillyflower Took
Waymeet, West Farthing

Tomorrow she would catch the postmaster on his rounds and send it off.

[ March 08, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]