View Single Post
Old 11-03-2006, 08:54 PM   #572
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
How about the next one? Athwen could be riding boldly to meet the slavers and act like being surprised and make a run away from them towards the camp - thus luring the slavers to follow her. There should be a fake camp with fires burning in the direction Athwen is riding towards so that the slavers would happily follow her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
How about the next one? Athwen could be riding boldly to meet the slavers and act like being surprised and make a run away from them towards the camp - thus luring the slavers to follow her. There should be a fake camp with fires burning in the direction Athwen is riding towards so that the slavers would happily follow her.
Good thus far, yes...

Quote:
Then, as she would know the exact location of the tunnel-trap, she would let the slavers come near enough her and in the last moment she would make her horse to jump over the trap and the slavers would have no time to react and the first row of them would fall into the tunnel (their horses stumbling and their riders cast off from them).
But here there is a problem. I thought of her jumping the tunnel myself, once, but realized that a horse won't jump unless there is something to jump over. They just won't, so far as I know. You might give a cue to jump, or you might be able to approach a jump just right, but a horse won't jump unless there's something there.

I thought about it and perhaps, if, as you said, Athwen knows just where the tunnel is, she can stop just before she reaches it, turn her horse around, wait until the slavers are very, very near, and then charge right through the center of them. Then, if they hadn't slackened their pace, they won't turn about and will charge right into the trap. That sounds unlikely, though...

Here are the problems with it...
  • She might have to ride too dangerously close to one of the men and get herself wounded
  • They might have bows and arrows that they know how to use on horse back (we could always say they didn't) in which case, any person riding before them to lead them on would be in danger of being shot...but even if they do have bows, we can still risk it.
  • They might just be able to get a hint of her trick and pull their horses about before they reach the tunnel....
  • And I'm sure there are more.

Quote:
Then there could be a rain of arrows and pebbles from both sides of the slavers who would be confused enough as the leading row has just stumbled in a flash. And before they could rearrange themselves, the party of 5-6 riders would attack them from the flank, galloping through them and causing a maximum damage. Surely a gang of foot soldiers would have been part of the "fake-camp" and would spring to their feet the moment Athwen comes over the tunnel-trap and they would be the ones trying to bring down the unmounted slavers... Hadith could be one of those, maybe one of the the leaders of that party - alongside Khamir and Vrór?
And this rest looks good. The only problem, as I said, was making the horse leap the tunnel. . .

-- Folwren