View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 02:04 AM   #22
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaelin
I think the main reason that Eowyn's integration of her anima & animus are incomplete in LOTR is that much as some of us love her, she is one of JRRT's supporting characters, so he's not going to spend as much time fleshing her out as he does the Hobbits, for example, or Aragorn.
Yes! It's a shame that we do not get to see more of Eowyn, and Faramir for that matter, as both these characters are very complex with real hang-ups and problems, and strong inner personalities which struggle for expression. That's the impression I get, anyway. Whoever says that Tolkien's characters are flat and dull ought to be pointed to look at these two (and, for that matter, Gollum and Frodo).

One thing to remember about Eowyn is that she is a young woman, and Tolkien underlines this fact. She still seems to be learning about the ways of the world, and she still has her dreams. Those dreams have been damaged at an early age, and she is filled with anger by this. Perhaps an older woman may have taken this more stoically? Perhaps not? It might be worth discussing if Eowyn's age is relevant to her actions, as I have found that as I grow older myself, I feel differently about her in the light of my own experience.