View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #18
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
So many good points here.

Frodo, while I can't hate him because he's Frodo and a Hobbit, is one of the more unappealing aspects of the films. He's not old enough, and the other three Hobbits seem to be older than he is. He's too 'girly' and 'dreamy'. I can perhaps see that they may have been aiming for the effect that Frodo is enraptured by 'faerie' and is a nice, quiet Hobbit, but he's also got nerve and isn't a pushover which is how he comes across in the films. Baggage indeed.

His eyes are strange, and it's something I've not been able to quite put my finger on about Elijah Wood that I do not like - he stares too much (I have the same feeling about Tobey Maguire and Tara Reid - they both un-nerve me).

He's also too posh and his accent is jarring when heard alongside the other Hobbits. Merry and Pippin are part of the very top layer of Shire society but they have completely different accents, Merry's being similar to Sam's, who is part of the labouring class.

There's something endearing about Elijah Wood's role, but looking at it critically, he is in the wrong role.