View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #26
Rhod the Red
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rhod the Red is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
I'm very biased because I have the hots for Elijah.

If the scripting was better, more book-accurate, he'd have performed better, IMO. Elijah had the perfect Hobbit 'look'. Because of the scripting though they made Sam look older and more mature, grr.

When it came to 'crowd control' of the Hobbit group up until they meet Strider, Frodo is meant to be in charge. Instead it's like they're a bunch of uncontrolled troublemakers. Yes, with say Pippin, they ARE. But all are quite mature and show a lot of it before they reach Bree in the book.

Obviously it can be a positive storyline factor in a way in a movie to help stick a memory about Hobbits as sort of free, fun-lovers. But to the point of recklessness? That's not so. Hobbits don't like adventures or public misbehaviour, etc. So while on one had it's okay to show them as playful, like when Frodo & Sam are intercepted at Maggot's crop field on the other they seemed a little to childish.

And Sam gives the order "Get off him!" He grabs Shire aristocrats to pull them off Frodo, I mean talk about uncharacteristic class-insubordination Sam would never do!

2 days ago I listened to a very fascinating interview with Elijah by a radio station. I like him a lot, very smart, mature, etc. He wasn't able to show much of it in the film so....I blame the scripting more than anything else.
Rhod the Red is offline   Reply With Quote