View Single Post
Old 09-10-2006, 02:43 AM   #171
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The Wait by the Tunnel:

Aiwendil had been the last to return to the meeting point. He had arrived with a scowl on his face and deep pools of worry shadowing his eyes. Motioning Lindir and Rôg to his side, the wizard had hurriedly described for them what he had learned while hiding in the bushes on the far side of camp: how Imak had commanded his men to round up the horses and prepare for an assault later that night.

"May I speak bluntly?" Aiwendil continued, glancing over at Lindir. "I fear Carl and Vrór will return too late. If we gallop out of here with twenty-five slavers on our heels, we will bring death to the very people we've pledged to protect. Neither we nor they are prepared to fight a battle tonight. Perhaps one of us, either Rôg or myself, should ride ahead and at least give them some warning,"

"Aiwendil, I am not surprised by what you say. This Imak sounds like a hothead. And if we were greater in number, I would do as you suggest. But we are so few. I can not spare a single man."

"But what about Dorran?" the older man pressed. "Perhaps he could go."

"I am afraid not. He and I were fighting together on the plain when two of the slaver guards seemed ready to ride back to Imak and tell him what was happening on this side of camp. Rather than risk having that happen, Dorran taunted the guards with his presence and raced out from camp with the two men riding close behind. Dorran should have returned a while ago, but I see no sign of him."

"You are saying he was hurt or lost?"

"I do not know, though I wish I did. But I do know we can't afford to lose any more men before we get those children out of camp. As to this Imak, perhaps he will not be so quick to launch an attack. From what I have seen, his men are having no easy time with those horses. Let us hope the horses will make it hard enough that the slavers can not go anywhere tonight. I am afraid we will have to be content with that, at least for the moment."

"And Dorran?" inquired Aiwendil in a husky tone. "This news will not sit well with Athwen, nor with any in our company. Is there anything that can be done? Anything at all?"

"For now, our duty lies here. But once the children are delivered and the slavers vanquished or run off, I will leave no stone unturned to find out what has happened to him."

"Perhaps Dorran is still coming?" pressed the older man.

Lindir answered in a level voice, "We can hope, but Dorran knew how urgent the children's need was. If he could return, I believe he would have done so by now. Indeed, if only Carl and Vrór could sprout wings and fly back here at once. But wishes without action to back them up accomplish little. Meanwhile, we must all be prepared to fight. I do not think we will get out of this camp without a struggle."

Lindir stared pointedly at Rôg and then looked again at the entrance to the tunnel, wondering just how long they would need to wait until the rescuers returned with the children.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 09-10-2006 at 08:47 AM.