View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 09:47 PM   #20
Meriadoc1961
Wight

Meriadoc1961 has just left Hobbiton.
Okay, I believe that Sauron the White has made some good points about holes in the book. One I always found troubling was very early on when Frodo, Pippin and Sam are being chased by Black Riders in the Shire, and they run into Gildor and Company. So what does this leader of these Wandering Elves do? He feeds them, won't tell Frodo what these creatures are except servants of the enemy and says, "Flee them!", and then he leaves them on their own knowing that Gandalf is missing with a promise to pass on to any other Wandering Companies to be on the lookout for good ol' Frodo! So yes, the book has a few holes. But back to the Council.

In all fairness to Peter Jackson, there IS a brief commotion in the book and pillows are spilled when Gloin becomes angered at hearing from the lips of Legolas of the nice treatment being given to loathesome Gollum, when he, Gloin, was treated so badly years before! But Gandalf quickly restored order.

By the way, my wife NEVER finished the book because she just could not get through the chapter The Council of Elrond.