View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The modern day version of Edoras: horses, wind, rolling plains =)
LadyBrooke is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to LadyBrooke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
It's noted that Telperion had white blossoms like a cherry, and that Laurelin had leaves like a beech -- though generally it was also noted to have been 'founded' on the laburnum:

Looking quickly on the web (!) sometimes laburnum = Golden Rain but I'm no expert here; I see Golden Chain on the web as well.
Well, going off that...there is a Goldenrain tree, also known as Pride of India, Koelreuteria paniculata as well as Laburnum anagyroides. Out of the two, laburnum is the one I would consider more like Laurelion...As a warning though, if you have goats or horses, don't plant it near where they could get them, because it's poisonous to them, as well as humans...

White blossomed cherries...Prunus × yedoensis, aka the Yoshino cherry, are almost pure white most of the year, but turn pinkish white. ...if Tolkien said White blossoms like a cherry, he was most likely referring to this plant, as it was introduced in Europe in 1902. Prunus speciosa, aka the Oshima Cherry, stays white longer, I think...Wheeping Cherries, which I can't find a link for, might have a type with white blossoms as well...have fun, now that I know far more about cherries as relates to Tolkien's works then I ever wanted to...Thanks Galin! Giving me a little morsel of information that sends me off into the depths of my mom's plant books...