Thread: Celebrimbor
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2016, 01:06 PM   #43
Gothmog, LoB
Animated Skeleton

Gothmog, LoB has just left Hobbiton.
Hm. I'd be fine with Celebrimbor's Teleri descent if they were also great silver-smiths (I think for the Falmari that would be a late addition but the Sindar are also referred to as being great in that field) a marriage between Curufin and a Teler would be conceivable.

If Celebrimbor had a Teler mother and there was no separate boat for Galadriel and Celeborn then Celebrimbor could still have been with the Noldor - he could have been with Finrod and Galadriel defending the Teleri during the battle at Alqualonde, for instance, and subsequently crossing the ice with them.

Descent means 'descent', there is no way around that. If Celebrimbor were Daeron's descendant then Daeron would have had children. Nephews aren't descendants; if Celebrimbor had been designated as Daeron's 'kinsman' he could have been his nephew or cousin or something like that, but that's not the case there.

However, one could even try to reconcile this with the other account. As far as I recall right now we don't know when exactly Daeron was born (since he no longer is Lúthien's brother). Assuming he came with Thingol to Beleriand during the long march he could have had at least one child (and a wife?) who passed across the sea with Olwe and eventually married Curufin in Aman (or the daughter of that daughter did).

But of course Celebrimbor could never have been a Sinda by birth.

The Galadriel-Celeborn issue should be discussed separately. This thing is very convoluted even in the LotR itself (Nando vs. apparent Sinda origin).
Gothmog, LoB is offline   Reply With Quote