View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 06:37 AM   #3947
Smaug's voice
Newly Deceased

Smaug's voice has just left Hobbiton.
Grrr. Did someone dare to wake me up?

'ello there denny-zens.
Bethberry, convinced me to come out of lurkdome and join as a member. So thanks Bethberry.

I have been a lurker here for a while and have always enjoyed the level and variety of discussions here, and while I may not be the busiest of posters I look forward to my time here.
I am an ardent lover of Tolkien's works - not only Middle-earth but his use of language, the lyrical flow of his words and it is also an amazement to me, that despite being one of the greatest Philologists ever, his language in the books have been so lucid and easy to understand. Simplicity and royalty both co-exist in his texts. Something that is extremely rare in literature.
I have read The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, the Sil, Unfinished Tales and am currently going through Children of Hurin. I love The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings on equal levels, both for their own reasons - one being an old-fashioned romanticize good vs evil myth, the other being simple children's story with adult themes and surprising depths despite it's apparent simplicity.
But my actual love has always been The Silmarillion. Definitely not the way Tolkien would have wanted it published, but even the little bite CT gives us from his father's vast compendium of drafts is just extremely satisfying. It works in so many different ways. And I firmly believe, Tolkien outdid Shakespeare in the Children of Hurin. I am still an amature compared to all the rest of you, having yet to read JRRT's letters as well as the invaluable HoME and the various Tolkien-scholastic publishings.

I am also quite fond of the films by Peter Jackson. I love the LotR films - as films, they are outstanding, while as adaptations they are quite good, better than most of the attempts could ever hope for.
As for The Hobbit films, I like them as an extension of Tolkien's works but let's face it, adaptation-wise they aren't even trying. Non the less, my overall response is quite positive towards both the series.
In my opinion of course, and I know I am in the vast minority here. No shame in that.

Anyway, good to be here.
So, how much is a pint?

SV

Last edited by Smaug's voice; 03-21-2014 at 06:47 AM.
Smaug's voice is offline   Reply With Quote