Old 11-23-2003, 11:00 PM   #44
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Sting

Quote:
Posted by Aiwnedil
That is, simply cut out the whole episode and replace it with the statement of his capture from the Tale of Years. This has the virtue that it cannot be taken as contradicting the Tale of Years, and it makes the Sauron explanation still possible.
Hmmmmm. I'm not sure if we cannot acomplish that by using some of Findegil's previous suggestions. Let me digest this for a moment.

Quote:
Posted by Aiwendil
A purely logistical aside: I see that both Maedhros and Findegil are using square brackets for any text not from FoG that is intended for use in the new version. Is there some reason that the angular brackets have been abandoned? Personally, I'd prefer to stick to the original convention: <X text> means text inserted from source X and [text] means a word from the base text that is normalized via a routine substitution - such as [Melkor] for original Melko.
As a matter of fact, yes there is. When I posted for the first time in the private forum, a previous version of the FOG, I noticed that the <> brackets hindered me from posting it, so I changed them. Because of that, I used the [] brackets and disregarded the <> brackets.
We could always use the <> brackets now, I guess.