View Single Post
Old 10-29-2003, 04:30 PM   #128
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gilly

Naiore Dannan? Gilly didn't care for this turn of conversation, and though she had never heard the name until now, judging from Miss Benia's reception of the news, and considering the grave manner in which Kaldir spoke, this Naiore did not seem someone she cared to meet. If only she and Benia could stay in the wine shop until Kaldir came back from his miserable errand. She didn't suppose he would accept her word that they would stay until he returned, but hoped that somehow any additional unpleasantness could be avoided.

And why the bounty hunter would even consider carting around three, she could not fathom. He did not seem keen on it, so why then? Particularly when their future companion was infamous, by the sound of it. She must bear a far greater price than a half-caste straggler of a proud but dying clan. Not to say that Kaldir appeared interested in wealth. Hadn’t Benia still her adornments? And Gilly’s small knife was the only item he chose to remove from the hobbit’s possession.

The hobbit saw Benia list backward, as if pushed by the force of a phantom tempest. "I see you know of her," Kaldir said observing Benia steady herself.

The southerner nodded slowly, "But why do you seek her? She'll kill
you. She'll kill all of us."

"…I have a score to settle with her," Kaldir stated, approaching Benia.
"She stole something from me that no one has the right to take. I intend to take it back."

Struck by an urgent desire to hide, Gilly eyed the casks about her, their round hinged lids she found vaguely comforting in her distress and she longed to climb inside one, disappearing from sight and Kaldir's recollection. But it wouldn't do to leave Miss Benia alone to face such a grim trial. And she saw that this scarred man would not allow them to withdraw at this point. “Put your veil on, we have work to do.” He gruffly commanded Benia as he pushed past her and out the door. Benia watched him go with a bewildered expression.

As soon as Kaldir cleared the doorway, Gilly rushed over to her frightened. “Are you well, Miss Benia?” she asked, her thoughts running in leaps and jumps. She felt as though she could no longer breathe.

Benia turned to look at her as though waking from a dream. “Yes,” she said distantly.

“Miss Benia, you must tell me who this Naiore is so that I might be prepared when the time comes. How does that Kaldir fellow expect us to defend ourselves when we haven’t a weapon between us!”

A sad smile upon her lips, Benia picked up her veil. “I’m afraid even Jack Nightshade’s sword would be hard pressed in a fight against the Ravennor of Mordor, and there is little that can be done to prepare for her. She is a fell elf, noble by blood yet was highly esteemed by Sauron. Cruel and cunning, many have wished for death that knew her.” Then shrouding herself once more in the dark folds, she placed her veil over her head, and stepped outside. Closing her eyes for a moment, Gilly summoned up her courage before following her.

Trailing Benia out into the yard, Gilly looked to the west. A ridge of dark clouds rimmed the horizon, like blue mountains set at the edge of the sky. Rain was coming, she thought, fervently hoping it would pass to the north. The horses stood patiently waiting. Walking over to her pony, Gilly noticed that Benia's leg seemed to be getting better, and she was now able to pull herself up onto her horse seemingly without pain.

Clutching at bags and packs, the hobbit tried to hoist herself onto the pony. She felt fortunate that it was a docile creature, putting up with her clumsy scrambling that occasionally threw it off balance. But in the end she gained her seat without assistance, and felt the happier for it.

[ October 30, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 03-22-2004 at 11:23 AM.