View Single Post
Old 04-28-2005, 05:49 PM   #6
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Of all the scary places in this book MInas Morgul is the scariest place in ME. At least I have found this place the most terrifying.

However, my favourite part of the chapter is the description of Gollum.

Quote:
Gollum looked at them. A strange expression passed over his lean hungry face. The gleam faded from his eyes, and they went dim and grey, old and tired. A spasm of pain seemed to twist him, and he turned away, peering back up towards the pass, shaking his head, as if engaged in some interior debate. Then he came back, and slowly putting out a trembling hand, very cautiously he touched Frodo's knee--but almost the touch was a caress. For a fleeting moment, could one of the sleepers have seen him, they would have thought that they beheld an old weary hobbit, shrunken by the years that had carried him far beyond his time, beyond friends and kin, and the fields and streams of youth, an old starved pitiable thing.
This quote reminds the reader of Gollum's origin. That in the end he is just a hobbit who has lived far beyond his years.Actually this part in the book really made me pity Gollum. I'm sure that if Gollum had a choice he would never have taken the ring. He has gone through so much misery and any joy he had in life is long gone.

Frodo is now rapidly changing. His personality is becoming more scyzophrenic like that of Gollum.

Quote:
He had not,even if he put it on,the power to face the witchking...not yet
I think this quote shows the side of Frodo that has been corrupted by the ring. The other part of his personality feels terror as he rightly should. However, this side has become overconfident,it is the side that is affected by the ring.
So half his personality is still sane whereas the other side is reaching the edge of sanity. I hope this makes sense