View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 09:37 AM   #79
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Playing a part, or hiding behind your part, Legate?
Not playing any part, actually. Formulated in more common talk, I am really not willing to give the phantom the post of a Representative - not now, at least. It is Day 1 and I am not only hanging on my previous promises, so to speak, but I am also unwilling to give votes to certain people as Reps, for now, and among them is Mr. P. for the simple reason that he's too wilful, to use the right adjective, that I won't give my fate into his hands - not yet, at least, until he is proven by the test of time. If he proves to work well for the intentions of this village, I am going to be the first one to nominate him. But for now, I am not ready yet to give my vote to him. That has nothing to do with his possible wolfishness or not, that works just for the best interests of the village as I see it. We need strong Representatives, who have the intentions of the people in mind, and not just their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I agree with this. What purpose does a set number of representatives serve? No purpose that I can see.
Setting up a number is of course nonsense, we cannot say "we will have X Representatives" and then try to make it the way that we end up with this number. But I think this talk about the numbers is not completely pointless, as it can help us stop and think for ourselves and giving us one more thing to consider when voting: "Okay, I want to vote either X or Y for a Rep, but I see we have already six Representatives who have two votes, and one of them is X. And by voting Y, I am about to bring another Rep there with my vote, but I don't want such a high number of Reps, so I will vote rather for X than for Y." Something like that, I hope you get the point (of course in the example I am leaving out the things about X possibly getting four votes etc, but the example was aimed just on the number of representatives).

Quote:
This is something I disagree with. If we really have to try filibustering, why not toDay when there's (probably) the least action and the smallest chance of lynching a wolf? It would do the least harm toDay, which is why I haven't voted against a filibuster yet. I don't like filibustering at all, I can't see it serving any purpose but chaos-creating (and maybe having fun, but we can have without an official filibuster, can't we?), but I understand it kind of has to be tried in this game, so I will let you children play with it today.
Well, yes, for fun, perhaps, but I presume there will be time when it will be used seriously, sooner or later (Wolves' effort to stop a vote, some Gifted's effort to save himself etc.). My point was that if we get stuck toDay, we'll start from nothing toMorrow, and then again... But hey, people don't have to agree with me. This is why we have democracy here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Because the truth is, I think I said something like this last time, votes are overrated. Personally, I hate them, any one, wolf or not, can manipulate their vote in whatever way they please. They are taken as such "hard evidence" when really, what's always served me the best has been reacting and striking conversation with people.
Quote:
I think they might just lay low and vote innocents as representatives because it's more probable that a village lynches an innocent anyway.
The votes which are actually positive are A) the votes of the Wolves for the Representatives (e.g. when we have a known wolf and see his votes, or when we have a known wolf who was a Rep and we see who voted for him), B) the votes of the Representatives who are Wolves for the people - or the votes of anybody who is a Representative, for that matter. However, what Lommy said is worth considering, as it may be

A) either the way I said in my first post, and the Wolves would just try to manipulate the village
B) or what Lommy suggested, that the Wolves would just lay low and see how it goes, or just see the innocent Representatives lynch innocent people and laugh at it. That is a good point, and I find the possibility of this simply abhorrent. Although it is not as abhorrent as it seems, because:
  1. There will most probably be some Wolves from the ranks of the more active players, who just could not keep their mouth shut and will get among the Representatives without own effort just because of their own popularity, thus, being brought into the spotlight the high politics bring one into;
  2. I think some Wolves would at least find it unsettling to leave the resumée of who is lynched just on providence, sitting back when in the front there is a debate who is going to be lynched, may not be even bearable by one's nerves. Although, on the other hand, one can always press on fellow Reps to do this or that, it is not exactly the same as when you are sitting there.

(And for further reference, just preventively, if my expression seemed kind of theatral to somebody or whatever, know ye that all I say here is my personal opinion, maybe with a style a bit differing from common talk, but heck, we speak for the Republic here. I am sometimes using some phrases, but the meaning behind them stays - it is what I wish to convey. I just cannot resist to use kind of exalted language at times. But there is no more roleplay in my style than there is in a cup of coffee.)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote