View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #83
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
(Quoting Lal's excellent posts for those of you who, like me, hate flicking between pages)

If we go for the barn (my preference) we'll probably organise a meeting spot and time and then get the drivers to take as many people there as possible. We'd just find the nearest train station, I suppose.
Wherever we chose, though, it may be a good idea for those of us who drive who live in the south to perhaps pick people up from the airport? This is something we can discuss later on, though.
For the barn, your nearest station is Buxton. However, Buxton is the terminus of that rail line, which runs from Manchester Piccadilly. To get there, any traveller would need to travel first to Manchester or Stockport. Not such a pain, travelling from London as the West Coast main line from Euston to Manchester is quite efficient.

The other stations in the area (though not close) are Matlock, at the terminus of the Derwent Valley line from Derby (very handy for getting to L'boro and London) and any of the stations on the Hope Valley line which links Manchester and Sheffield.

I have to be honest, you would need transport if you are on the west edge of the Peaks. If you can get someone to hire a minibus and have a couple of cars though, it's a very good choice because it's beautiful up there. It's ironically on the High Peak Trail which follows the route of a rail line closed in 1967!