View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 10:57 PM   #352
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Then again, I believe that Gary Gygax and co based their Type VI Demon on Tolkien's Balrog, seeing as it wielded a whip and a flaming sword ...
Perhaps the whip and the flaming sword was the only connection Mr. Gygax was making to Tolkien's balrogs.

But seriously, most artists will draw pictures that get people captivated, interested, and 'wowed' even if it means neglecting 'accuracy.' As we all know gigantic horned demons with enormous wings is far more appealing than a man-sized opponent that could manipulate fire and shadow. I mean we just have to watch the movies to see what people think 'looks' better.

Quote:
I don't think that Tolkien would create a creature with wings that couldn't fly.~Finduilas
I think you're on the right track, but the question is why would the Balrog choose wings if they can't be used for flight?

One of the 'pro-wingers' arguments is well there are animals with wings but can't fly (penguins, emus...and etc). That's true, but the wings of these animals still serve a purpose to them.

Balrogs being Maiar chose their own form (as Sauron did)...if they did choose a form with wings...what would be the purpose if not for flight? Therefor, it wouldn't make any sense as to why a Balrog would choose a form with wings yet were unable to fly. As there would be no purpose for the wings so why would they assume a form with wings?

Also, what has gone unresponded to is the size of the 'wings' (if they were literal wings). Durin's Bane was approximately 6 feet tall...The area where Gandalf confronts the Balrog is referred to as a 'chasm,' a chasm by definition is twice as wide as it is long. The Bridge spanned 50 feet, so this would mean the width of the chasm was at least 100 feet. If they were literal wings, than you must also take this literally: and its wings were spread from wall to wall (The Bridge of Khazad-dum). This would mean that an approximately 6 foot Balrog would have a 100 foot wingspan. Why would that make any sort of sense? Finally, take into consideration the Balrog's agility and it's ability to get through all the passage ways and tunnels of Moria. How can a creature with gigantic wings when spread were literally from 'wall to wall' (in a chasm) be able to manuevre (and manuevre to the ability that it does) through the mines?