View Single Post
Old 04-21-2004, 02:53 PM   #2
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ring The quality of mercy is not strained ... or is it?

Interesting article, Angmar.

It seems to me that Jackson took the moment forward to the Smeagol/Gollum debate in TTT, when Smeagol banishes Gollum only to be "betrayed" (as he sees it) by Frodo at Henneth Annun.

Throughout most of TTT, there were aspects of Smeagol's character which evoked sympathy, but they are swept aside at the end. When we come to RotK, Smeagol and Gollum are in league (as the debate mirrored in the pool suggests) and there is preciousss little reason for the audience to have any sympathy for him. I think that this was intentional on Jackson's part, to minimise the sadness which might otherwise be felt on his passing.

I agree that this does somewhat detract from the value of Frodo's mercy, since it is effectively Frodo's mercy which gives rise to Smeagol's feeling of betrayal and the return of Gollum. But I think that it is still fair to say that, but for Frodo's mercy, they would most likely not have got into Mordor. And Gollum would not have been there at the end to seize the Ring and fall into the fire with it (and no, I do not believe that Frodo pushed him). It is for this reason that I was glad to see Frodo effectively forgive Gollum when he encountered him on emerging from Shelob's lair.