Thread: Good Changes
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2006, 09:25 AM   #2
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Great idea for a thread.

I'll start off with a quick Change that worked well for me not only film wise but also (gasp!) from a book perspective plot wise.

Aragorn let Frodo go. He relaised the pull of the Ring, and Frodo obviously realised this too. That was one of Frodo's reasons for leaving the fellowship. For Aragorn to follow Pippin and Merry to save them from torment is noble and works (just) in the books for me (as did Gandalf's decision to save Faramir) - because there was no one else to help them so he must .

But for me this would not work for average movie goers who have not read the books. they'd be wondering - hang on, they're just two silly hobbits - he needs to help frodo and sam get rid of the Ring!

To give him another reason behind this worked REALLY well for me....

more to follow when I think of other good Changes 'filmically' wise. One that crops up in my head is the lighting of the Beacon by pippin - this lets us see the wonderful scene of the beacons being lit. we could not have just popped over to minas tirith and watch the beacons being lit without our main characters being there and explaining (again to mr average movie goer) where they were etc and why the beacons needed to be lit.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote