View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 04:27 PM   #25
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
A couple of PJ decisions, most are minor and that in itself makes me wonder why it was changed in the first place. These changes didn't even seem to be important for PJ's storyline.

Sam said "what do they live on when they can't get hobbit?" in the book (midgewater marshes), why was it changed to Merry? Was it filling up a 'certain number of lines' clause in his contract?

In the book, Strider said something about him hunting if he had to, but that would take up too much time, so tighten belts and think of Elrond's tables. Why was this bit put in showing Strider appearently got a deer for the starving hobbits? Was it to show Strider is really a good guy and takes care of them?

Both are rather pointless so why spend the energy (thought process) and/or the expenditure doing it?

In the Inn, when the ring jumps onto Frodo's finger I like the look of the shadow world, I would keep the scene the same except don't actually show the 'eye'. Sauron's voice has already been established so the audience will (should) recognise it, and it's far scarier imagining what is terrifying Frodo (and seeing him) than actually seeing it for ourselves.

A bit disappointed not to see Elijah Wood doing the "Man over the Moon" song.

Strider-glad it was kept to the book of him being mysterious in the corner. Interesting bit of change to Strider having "a quiet word" with Frodo in the room. Why did he shove him down?

The blackriders, what nightmares are made of. Coincidently, FOTR was the first movie I saw when my local theatre built stadium seating and up-to-date surround sound (which they insist on having at highest level). Their scream terrified me!! My spine was shivering and my knuckles were white from the kung-fu grip I had on the armrests. PJ seemed to do a really good job for my nonreader friends, until the Buckleberry Ferry when the one rider turned 'round and was joined up by the two others, they freaked out cause they thought there was only one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar
Speaking of fooling, did anyone think that the hobbits were about to receive acupuncture, Mordor-style? In the books, was it the wraiths or their henchpersons that attacked the beds? But I assume that the cutting back and forth between the beds and the hobbits in their bed tents (just how does one place covers over one’s head so that you have a foot or two of empty space?) works for those who don’t know what is about to happen.
this was no doubt a homage to the Ralph baski version – it’s almost a direct copy of the scene from the cartoon lotr.
It only says in the book....
Quote:
As soon as Strider had roused them all, he led the way to their bedrooms. When they saw them they were glad they had taken his advice: the windows had been forced open and were swinging, and the curtains were flapping; the beds were tossed about, and the bolsters slashed and flung upon the door; the brown mat was torn to pieces.
No mention of who actually did it, and why not the way it was portrayed? It's a nod to Bakshi, the first person to get the story onto film and seemingly this way worked.

Alatar: "works for those who don’t know what is about to happen"

Everything works when you don't know what's about to happen!