View Single Post
Old 09-22-2007, 11:46 AM   #33
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
William Cloud Hickli's post has a feeling to it I don't like, and that is familiar...

I think there is a feeling that, to not enjoy Tolkien's works is to be unintelligent, when there is nothing to say that at all. I know some very intelligent people who don't like reading fantasy, enjoy a very different style, and others who don't like reading much at all. I think it's sad that some don't enjoy reading in general, but I know not to automatically judge them as a waste of time.

Personally, I've actually grown less fond of Tolkien's style and story since I first read The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit (yes, which I read because of the movies). I'm much more a fan of the world then the story or his actual writing.

I've only made it through The Lord of the Rings entirely once, though I've seen the movies numerous times.

Does that mean I am a teenage Peter Jackson movie casualty (or *worse yet*, a casualty of '21st century America')?

No, it means my tastes have changed, and they'll probably change again.

And for practicality's sake...the book does take considerably more time to read than it does to watch the movies.

So, "Where there's a whip, there's a way" is remembered, but the sheepishly-grinning-Orcs-in-flowery-Mordor scene is not? The dreamed of brotherhood of Orcs and Hobbits is lost to us, it seems. *tear*
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote