View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #29
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
I think that's a bit short for the average Noldo. According to one relatively late description Eldarin men were no less than 6 foot 6, and taller for some kings and leaders. Eldarin women: seldom less than 6 feet -- these heights are noted by JRRT in reaction to an illustration by Pauline Baynes.

But there's another late description in Of Dwarves And Men where the Eldar appear to be generally taller. 'They were called 'Halflings'; but this refers to the normal height of Men of Numenorean descent and of the Eldar (especially those of Noldorin descent), which appears to have been about seven of our feet.'

I have no real evidence as to which text came after the other however, but as I say both are relatively late.

I am not sure where the description is of Eldarin men being 6 foot 6 comes from. I have seen the quote about the Noldor being around 7ft, but the notes says to look into the further writings in the Unfinished Tales. The Unfinished Tales has them at about 6,4.

The average Noldor is not one from the royal houses and nothing like the tallest.

I have given the example of Legolas previously who is actually from a noble Sindarin House. He is still shorter than Boromir, who is around 6,4 or so.

I don't think an average height of 6,4 is too short. The royal family of Numenor are directly descended from the two tallest of the Edain and 2/3 of the tallest Eldar. They were bound to be exceptionally tall.

It seems both notes are from around 1968.

This is all Christopher Tolkien has to say on the Eldar's height being 7ft.

See the discussion of lineal measurements and their equation with our measurements in the Legend of the Disaster of the Gladden Fields.[ This discussion (which, with the work itself belongs, belongs to the very late period-1968 or later) is found in the Unfinished Tales pp285. ff where a note on the stature of the Hobbits if also given.

Looking at Lord of the Rings and the information we have I don't see why you think 6ft 4 is a bit short for the average Noldor.

Aragorn was the tallest of the company, but Boromir, little less in height was broader and heavier in build.

Last edited by cellurdur; 01-24-2013 at 05:25 PM.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote