View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 05:25 AM   #35
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
Hammond and Scull published this information in their Reader's Companion to The Lord of the Rings.
I don't doubt that they come from the book, but wondering where did Tolkien write this. Is there any note in the book from where they got the reference.
Quote:
Unfinished Tales describes Galadriel at 6 foot 4, but not the average Noldo that I'm aware of.
This is true, I was getting ahead of myself there and it was my mistake. I was cross referencing with Galadriel's title as Nerwen 'man-maiden', which implies she was the height of male Noldor's but there is no statement saying she was the average height for the Noldor, just one of their best athletes.

However, we do know Celeborn was tall for a Teleri elf. His name seems to have meant 'silver-tall'. Since he is 6'4 can assume the majority of the Sindar/Teleri were around 6ft. This fits in as I said with Legolas being shorter than Boromir.
Quote:
My first quote is about Eldarin Men -- that's a general description, especially given that it notes Eldarin Kings and leaders were taller. The second quote refers to the normal height of the Eldar, especially the Noldor, at seven feet.
I have seen the second quote and it comes from Dwarves and Men, but it cannot be made to work with the text.

If Celeborn a tall and royal Sindar was around 6'4 then how could the average height for the Eldar be 7ft? The same applies for Legolas, who was of high Sindarin origin, but is shorter than Boromir.

Quote:
I don't see that as a problem. Aragorn was probably 'at least' 6 foot 6 according to JRRT.
Yes, but Boromir is around 6'4 and taller than Legolas too. Boromir is also around the same height as Celeborn, who was tall for the Sindar. So again this indicates they must have been shorter than 7ft and closer to maybe 6ft.
Quote:
So, the same source as the one about Eldarin men.
It would be nice if he indicated precisely where he got the quote from. I will have a look to see if there is anything else.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote