View Single Post
Old 06-17-2005, 01:59 AM   #25
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Quote:
Originally Posted by obloquy
H-I: When reading the Athrabeth, did you not get the impression that Andreth was reporting a belief that was not necessarily true? It seemed to me that she was relating a myth that was held by Men out of envy of the Elves. It has been a while since I've read it, now; however, as I recall, Finrod did not swallow her revelations on Man's fall whole
It did. But the reasoning is simple: the only text discussing the matter presents certain theory. Even if it is doubted by one of the participants, we have no other textually backed theory to lean on. We lean on what we have.

Besides, in the part discussing the destiny of men, just before he comes out with This then, I propound, was the errand of Men... etc, Finrod's heart 'leaps with joy' - an indication of recognition of truth.

It is not that hard to elaborate thence and get the essence of my posts above

Quote:
Originally Posted by obloquy
The Ringwraiths were not houseless fear. They could still interact with physical objects, and their physical garments still found a surface to drape over, so there's no reason to believe they were truly immaterial. I think they simply had badly perverted hroar made invisible by the same magic that allowed The One Ring to confer invisibility.
Nail hit on the head, I daresay

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote