View Single Post
Old 12-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #20
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcidas View Post
Martin's writing is different, and his is a modern novel written for a modern, 21st century reader. I think it is a great deal more realistic with a better sense of time and distance. The lack of a clear-cut distinction between Good and Evil characters and the literary device of telling the story from different points of view really makes for a good read, but, as I said, it does not have the same 'feel' as Tolkien.

I hope this makes some sense.
It definitely made sense. Though I'm curious to know why we'd think of Martin's work as 'more realistic', simply because it is generally dark. Having said that, Martin's work entertains me, but it doesn't inspire in me the almost fanatic loyalty that Tolkien's does, especially The Silmarillion. The reason is that, for me, the message Tolkien gives is: "Yes, the world is terrible, and you probably won't get rewarded for being kind - in fact, you'll probably come to a sticky end. Be kind anyway." That might be an idealistic thing to say; but in this respect, Tolkien's the kind of person I may just follow to the ends of the earth.