View Single Post
Old 08-22-2002, 10:03 AM   #48
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Sharon: Your contributions always bring something new and deep. You even got me thinking about certain personally choices in terms of spirituality or lack thereof, but enough about that.

Quote:
Frodo is the seer and prophet, and Sam is the one called to the service of man. Both are wonderful spiritual routes and both individuals have been through terrible experiences which tranform them. But, in each hobbit, the process is different because of what's inside them. And ultimately, I would argue that means that it is not the events which dictate the transformation, but rather Eru.
I acknowledge seer in Frodo, but where in LotR is he prophet?
In any case, the distinction you are making seems to me to be "spiritual man" and "man of the earth who is nonetheless good". I want to ask what if Frodo had chosen not to accept the spiritual side of his life, but to be a man of the earth who is nonetheless good? Or didn't Frodo have a choice in that? Was that at Eru's dictate?

This clearly has implications in terms of real life, and you got me curious...